Deposition of polychlorinated biphenyls and polybrominated diphenyl ethers in the vicinity of a steel manufacturing plant
Cited 2 times inCited 2 times in
- Deposition of polychlorinated biphenyls and polybrominated diphenyl ethers in the vicinity of a steel manufacturing plant
- Fang, Mingliang; Choi, Sung-Deuk; Baek, Song-Yee; Jin, Guangzhu; Chang, Yoon-Seok
- Bde-209; Bulk depositions; Complex sites; Deposition distribution; Deposition fluxes; Dioxin-like PCBs; Dl-PCBs; Iron-and-steel making; PBDEs; PCBs; Polybrominated diphenyl ethers; Seasonal variation; South Korea; Steel manufacturing; Toxicity equivalent quantity
- Issue Date
- PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD
- ATMOSPHERIC ENVIRONMENT, v.49, no., pp.206 - 211
- Spatial distribution and seasonal variation of polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB) and polybrominated diphenyl ether (PBDE) bulk deposition were investigated at four sites at and around an iron and steel making plant in Pohang, South Korea from January 2008 to May 2009. The steel complex site showed the highest average deposition fluxes of 74.0, 2.1, and 41.6 ng m(-2) day(-1) for Sigma tri-decaPCBS (Tri-DecaCBs), Sigma(12)PCBs (dioxin-like PCBs), and Sigma 8PBDEs (8 PBDE congeners), respectively, indicating the steel complex is an important source of PCBs and PBDEs. The PCB deposition was dominated by Tri-TetraCBs and BDE209 was the most abundant PBDE congener. No clear seasonal variation of PCB and PBDE deposition was observed except at the steel complex site. Precipitation appeared to play an important role in the deposition distribution of PCBs, especially when the lowly chlorinated homologues dominated. In addition, the contribution of DL PCBs (dioxin-like PCBs) to the total TEQ(toxicity equivalent quantity) showed a seasonal variation and should not be neglected in the vicinity of a steel complex.
- ; Go to Link
Appears in Collections:
- UEE_Journal Papers
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.