Anomalous Pseudocapacitive Behavior of a Nanostructured, Mixed-Valent Manganese Oxide Film for Electrical Energy Storage
Cited 62 times inCited 42 times in
- Anomalous Pseudocapacitive Behavior of a Nanostructured, Mixed-Valent Manganese Oxide Film for Electrical Energy Storage
- Song, Min-Kyu; Cheng, Shuang; Chen, Haiyan; Qin, Wentao; Nam, Kyung-Wan; Xu, Shucheng; Yang, Xiao-Qing; Bongiorno, Angelo; Lee, Jangsoo; Bai, Jianming; Tyson, Trevor A.; Cho, Jaephil; Liu, Meilin
- Active material; Charge storage; Cycling life; Density functional theory calculations; Double-layer capacitance; Electrical energy; Electrochemical capacitor; Emerging applications; In-situ; Mixed valence state; Mixed-valent; Mixed-valent compounds; Nano-architecture; Nano-structured; Performance enhancements; Power densities; Pseudocapacitance; Pseudocapacitive behavior; Pseudocapacitors; Rational design; Specific capacitance
- Issue Date
- AMER CHEMICAL SOC
- NANO LETTERS, v.12, no.7, pp.3483 - 3490
- While pseudocapacitors represent a promising option for electrical energy storage, the performance of the existing ones must be dramatically enhanced to meet today's ever-increasing demands for many emerging applications. Here we report a nanostructured, rnixed-valent manganese oxide film that exhibits anomalously high specific capacitance (similar to 2530 F/g of manganese oxide, measured at 0.61 A/g in a two-electrode configuration with loading of active materials similar to 0.16 mg/cm(2)) while maintaining excellent power density and cycling life. The dramatic performance enhancement is attributed to its unique mixed-valence state with porous nanoarchitecture, which may facilitate rapid mass transport and enhance surface double-layer capacitance, while promoting facile redox reactions associated with charge storage by both Mn and O sites, as suggested by in situ X-ray absorption spectroscopy (XAS) and density functional theory calculations. The new charge storage mechanisms (in addition to redox reactions of cations) may offer critical insights to rational design of a new-generation energy storage devices.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- ECHE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.