A comprehensive study of energy efficiency and performance of flash-based SSD
Cited 2 times inCited 6 times in
- A comprehensive study of energy efficiency and performance of flash-based SSD
- Park, Seonyeong; Kim, Youngjae; Urgaonkar, Bhuvan; Lee, Joonwon; Seo, Euiseong
- Energy; Filesystems; Power; SSD; Storage
- Issue Date
- ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV
- JOURNAL OF SYSTEMS ARCHITECTURE, v.57, no.4, pp.354 - 365
- Use of flash memory as a storage medium is becoming popular in diverse computing environments. However, because of differences in interface, flash memory requires a hard-disk-emulation layer, called FTL (flash translation layer). Although the FTL enables flash memory storages to replace conventional hard disks, it induces significant computational and space overhead. Despite the low power consumption of flash memory, this overhead leads to significant power consumption in an overall storage system. In this paper, we analyze the characteristics of flash-based storage devices from the viewpoint of power consumption and energy efficiency by using various methodologies. First, we utilize simulation to investigate the interior operation of flash-based storage of flash-based storages. Subsequently, we measure the performance and energy efficiency of commodity flash-based SSDs by using microbenchmarks to identify the block-device level characteristics and macrobenchmarks to reveal their filesystem level characteristics.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- ECE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.