Synthesis of fluorinated analogues of a practical polymer TQ for improved open-circuit voltages in polymer solar cells
Cited 4 times inCited 0 times in
- Synthesis of fluorinated analogues of a practical polymer TQ for improved open-circuit voltages in polymer solar cells
- Dutta, Gitish K; Kim, Taehyo; Choi, Hyosung; Lee, Junghoon; Kim, Dong Suk; Kim, Jin Young; Yang, Changduk
- Issue Date
- ROYAL SOC CHEMISTRY
- POLYMER CHEMISTRY, v.5, no.7, pp.2540 - 2547
- In an attempt to further lower the HOMO of a cost-effective polymer poly(2,3-bis-(3-octyloxyphenyl)quinoxaline-5,8-dyl-alt-thiophene-2,5-diyl) (TQ) by adding F atoms onto the existing quinoxaline acceptor within the polymer backbone, we have synthesized two structurally identical fluorinated analogues of TQ (TQ-F (single F) and TQ-FF (double F)), except for the number of F atoms. The effects of inclusion of F atoms on the optical property, nature of charge transport, and molecular organization are thoroughly investigated. The resulting two fluorinated polymers show a decrease in both the HOMO and the LUMO energy levels relative to non-fluorinated TQ. Moreover, the fluorination of the polymer backbone has lowered the HOMOs more than the LUMOs, slightly widening the energy bandgaps as the number of F atoms increases. Thus, use of these polymers in bulk-heterojunction (BHJ) solar cells, in all cases, leads large VOC values. The power conversion efficiency (PCE) of the optimized PSCs based on TQ-F reaches 4.41%. In addition, it is interesting to note that, despite TQ-FF having the PCE that is lower than TQ-F, an unprecedentedly high VOC of 1.00 V is achieved, which is nearly equaled the highest VOC values ever reported for polymers.
- Appears in Collections:
- ECHE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.