Macromolecular dumbbells: synthesis and photophysical properties of hyperbranched poly(etherketone)-b-polybenzobisthiazole-b-hyperbranched poly(etherketone) ABA triblock copolymers
Cited 6 times inCited 6 times in
- Macromolecular dumbbells: synthesis and photophysical properties of hyperbranched poly(etherketone)-b-polybenzobisthiazole-b-hyperbranched poly(etherketone) ABA triblock copolymers
- Baek, Jong-Beom; Lyons, Christopher B.; Tan, Loon-Seng
- Issue Date
- ROYAL SOC CHEMISTRY
- JOURNAL OF MATERIALS CHEMISTRY, v.19, no.24, pp.4172 - 4182
- A series of hyperbranched poly(etherketone)-b-poly(benzobisthiazole)-b-hyperbranched poly(etherketone) triblock copolymers were synthesized. Two different types of hyperbranched poly(etherketone)s (PEKs) were utilized as dendritic A-block units and carboxylic acid-terminated polybenzobisthiazoles (PBZTs) with two different molecular weights as a conjugated, optically responsive, rigid-rod B-block units to afford dumbbell-shaped ABA triblock copolymers. Although all dumbbell-shaped samples are soluble in strong acids such as trifluoroacetic acid (TFA), methanesulfonic acid (MSA), trifluoromethanesulfonic acid (TFMSA) and sulfuric acid, only phenoxy-terminated dumbbell shaped triblock copolymers (3a and 3b) were soluble in common polar aprotic solvents such as NMP, DMF, DMAc and DMSO. Their solubility in common organic solvents was apparently a consequence arising from the obstruction of the close packing of PBZT components by the bulky dendritic PEK ends. A very surprising and interesting observation was made when the 3a and 3b solutions in NMP were placed under room light for 24 h: all major absorption peaks became featureless and blue-shifted. This photochromism was investigated by static and dynamic UV-absorption and fluorescence spectroscopy under various conditions. Although the response time was quite long, it could be controlled as a function of excitation wavelength, light intensity, and solvent viscosity and/or polarity. We propose that the origin of observed spectral changes is caused by the change in conjugation lengths of PBZT in the dumbbell-shaped ABA triblock copolymers.
- Appears in Collections:
- ECHE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.