Is there chiral correlation between graphitic layers in double-wall carbon nanotubes?
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- Is there chiral correlation between graphitic layers in double-wall carbon nanotubes?
- He, Maoshuai; Xu, Ziwei; Shang, Danhong; Zhang, Xiuyun; Zhang, Hao; Li, Dong; Jiang, Hua; Kauppinen, Esko; Ding, Feng
- Issue Date
- PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD
- CARBON, v.144, pp.147 - 151
- Because of the unique concentric structure, double-wall carbon nanotubes (DWNTs) possess fascinating properties which depend on the respective chirality of both the outer and the inner tubes. In this work, we study the chiral correlations of DWNTs synthesized by chemical vapor deposition on Fe nanoparticles. Contrary to some recent report, the distribution of chiral angle difference between inner and outer tubes in our work agrees with that calculated for all possible configurations. Remarkably, DWNTs with commensurate structures, i.e. outer and inner tubes have same chiral angles, are observed. The mechanism for the formation of DWNTs with approximately commensurate structures is discussed on the basis of layer by layer model. Furthermore, the interactional energies between the inner and outer walls are calculated to address the stability of different DWNT configurations. This work helps understand the growth mechanism of DWNTs and comprehend their structure stabilities with different configurations.
- Appears in Collections:
- MSE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.