Economic impacts of a linear urban park on local businesses: The case of Gyeongui Line Forest Park in Seoul
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- Economic impacts of a linear urban park on local businesses: The case of Gyeongui Line Forest Park in Seoul
- Park, Juhyeon; Kim, Jeongseob
- Issue Date
- ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV
- LANDSCAPE AND URBAN PLANNING, v.181, pp.139 - 147
- This study aims to explore the economic impacts of urban open spaces using the sales data of local small businesses. A new urban park could attract more visitors and lead to neighborhood revitalization, especially in distressed neighborhoods. In order to explore this mechanism, this study analyzes the case of the Gyeongui Line Forest Park, a previously underutilized railroad that was converted to a linear urban park. A difference-in-difference approach was applied to evaluate the change in the sales of local businesses before and after the park's opening using credit card and cash sales data provided by the Seoul Metropolitan Government's Big Data Campus. The results showed that urban linear parks could have positive effects that lead to the neighborhoods’ economic vitality. However, the economic impacts could vary depending on neighborhood contexts. Specifically, economically distressed neighborhoods could benefit more from the opening of a park. This study directly captured the revitalization impact of the Gyeongui Line Forest Park using actual sales data instead of analyzing indirect outcomes such as property values, thereby providing an alternative approach to measure the economic impacts of parks.
- Appears in Collections:
- UEE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.