Edge-carboxylated graphene nanoplatelets as oxygen-rich metal-free cathodes for organic dye-sensitized solar cells
Cited 3 times inCited 2 times in
- Edge-carboxylated graphene nanoplatelets as oxygen-rich metal-free cathodes for organic dye-sensitized solar cells
- Ju, Myung Jong; Jeon, In-Yup; Lim, Kimin; Kim, Jae Cheon; Choi, Hyun-Jung; Choi, In Taek; Eom, Yu Kyung; Kwon, Young Jin; Ko, Jaejung; Lee, Jae-Joon; Baek, Jong-Beom; Kim, Hwan Kyu
- Issue Date
- ROYAL SOC CHEMISTRY
- ENERGY & ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE, v.7, no.3, pp.1044 - 1052
- Edge-carboxylated graphene nanoplatelets (ECGnPs) were synthesized by the simple, efficient and eco-friendly ball-milling of graphite in the presence of dry ice and used as oxygen-rich metal-free counter electrodes (CEs) in organic dye-sensitized solar cells (DSSCs), for the first time. The resultant ECGnPs are soluble in many polar solvents including 2-propanol due to the polar nature of numerous carboxylic acids at edges, allowing an electrostatic spray (e-spray) to be deposited on fluorine-doped SnO2 (FTO)/glass substrates. The ECGnP-CE exhibited profound improvements in the electrochemical stability for the Co(bpy)3 2+/3+ redox couple compared to the platinum (Pt)-CE. The charge transfer resistance (RCT), related to the interface between an electrolyte and a CE, was significantly reduced to 0.87 Ω cm2, much lower than those of (Pt)-CE (2.19 Ω cm 2), PEDOT:PSS-CE (2.63 Ω cm2) and reduced graphene oxide (rGO)-CE (1.21 Ω cm2). The DSSC based on the JK-303-sensitizer and ECGnP-CE displayed a higher photovoltaic performance (FF, Jsc, and η, 74.4%, 14.07 mA cm-2 and 9.31%) than those with the Pt-CE (71.6%, 13.69 mA cm-2 and 8.67%), PEDOT:PSS (68.7%, 13.68 mA cm-2 and 8.25%) and rGO-CE (72.9%, 13.88 mA cm-2 and 8.94%).
- Appears in Collections:
- ECHE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.