Unified low-energy effective Hamiltonian and the band topology of p-block square-net layer derivatives
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- Unified low-energy effective Hamiltonian and the band topology of p-block square-net layer derivatives
- Hyun, S.I.; Lee, Inho; Lee, Geunsik; Shim, J.H.
- Issue Date
- AMER PHYSICAL SOC
- PHYSICAL REVIEW B, v.98, no.16, pp.165108
- In recent years, low-dimensional materials with tetragonal P4/nmm (orthorhombic Pnma) space group having square-net (chainlike) substructure of p-block elements have been studied extensively. By using a first-principles calculation and a two-sites ⊗ two-orbitals tight-binding model, we construct the unified low-energy effective Hamiltonian and the Z2 topological phase diagram for such materials with different filling factors. Near the chemical potential, we show that the staggered arrangement of ions at 2c (4c) site yields a virtual hopping that has the same form with the second nearest-neighbor hopping between the square-net (chainlike) ions. We show that this hybridization and low-symmetry of the chainlike structure protects the quantum spin Hall insulator phase. Finally, the second-order spin-orbit coupling on top of the atomic spin-orbit coupling is considered to clarify the origin of the nonzero Berry phase signals reported in recent quantum oscillation experiments.
- Appears in Collections:
- SNS_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.