Twinned nanoporous gold with enhanced tensile strength
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- Twinned nanoporous gold with enhanced tensile strength
- Gwak, Eun-Ji; Jeon, Hansol; Song, Eunji; Kang, Na-Ri; Kim, Ju-Young
- Issue Date
- PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD
- ACTA MATERIALIA, v.155, pp.253 - 261
- Enhancing tensile strength is crucial to increasing the applicability of nanoporous materials including nanoporous gold (np-Au) that show mechanical weakness because of their nanoporous structure despite other superior characteristics. We fabricated twinned and textured np-Au foils with an average twin spacing of 7.9 nm. The foils exhibit an ultimate tensile strength (UTS) of 87.5 MPa when the loading axis is normal to the twin boundaries. This UTS value is approximately three times greater than that for np-Au with rare twins of 27.4 MPa. The high UTS can be ascribed to the twin boundaries acting as effective barriers to dislocation slip, resulting in the strain-hardening of the load-bearing ligaments. (C) 2018 Acta Materialia Inc. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Appears in Collections:
- MSE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.