Automated Box-Cox Transformations for Improved Visual Encoding
Cited 1 times inCited 0 times in
- Automated Box-Cox Transformations for Improved Visual Encoding
- Maciejewski, Ross; Pattath, Avin; Ko, Sungahn; Hafen, Ryan; Cleveland, William; Ebert, David
- Data transformation; color mapping; statistical analysis; Box-Cox; normal distribution
- Issue Date
- IEEE COMPUTER SOC
- IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON VISUALIZATION AND COMPUTER GRAPHICS, v.19, no.1, pp.130 - 140
- The concept of preconditioning data (utilizing a power transformation as an initial step) for analysis and visualization is well established within the statistical community and is employed as part of statistical modeling and analysis. Such transformations condition the data to various inherent assumptions of statistical inference procedures, as well as making the data more symmetric and easier to visualize and interpret. In this paper, we explore the use of the Box-Cox family of power transformations to semiautomatically adjust visual parameters. We focus on time-series scaling, axis transformations, and color binning for choropleth maps. We illustrate the usage of this transformation through various examples, and discuss the value and some issues in semiautomatically using these transformations for more effective data visualization.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- ECE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.