A 0.56-2.92 GHz Wideband and Low Phase Noise Quadrature LO-Generator Using a Single LC-VCO for 2G-4G Multistandard Cellular Transceivers
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- A 0.56-2.92 GHz Wideband and Low Phase Noise Quadrature LO-Generator Using a Single LC-VCO for 2G-4G Multistandard Cellular Transceivers
- Yoon, Heein; Lee, Youngsun; Lim, Younghyun; Tak, Guemyoung; Kim, Hongdeuk; Ho, Yocheol; Choi, Jaehyouk
- Issue Date
- IEEE-INST ELECTRICAL ELECTRONICS ENGINEERS INC
- IEEE JOURNAL OF SOLID-STATE CIRCUITS, v.51, no.3, pp.614 - 625
- A wideband and low phase noise quadrature local oscillation (LO) signal generator for multi-standard cellular transceivers was proposed. Using the new LO-plan consisting of divide-by-6, divide-by-4, and divide-by-12 frequency dividers, the required frequency tuning range (FTR) of a VCO was reduced to 39%, which can be easily covered by a single LC-VCO. Due to the reduced FTR, the VCO can retain a high Q-factor and achieve low phase noise. The key building block of the new LO-plan is a quadrature divide-by-6 divider, capable of generating precise I/Q signals. To implement the quadrature divide-by-6 divider, we proposed a fully differential divide-by-3 divider with 50% duty cycle. Using the same idea, a fully differential divide-by-2 circuit was also proposed for divide-by-4 and divide-by-12 dividers. The proposed LO-generator was fabricated in a 40-nm CMOS process, and covered LO-frequencies of 0.56 - 2.92 GHz for multi-standard cellular transceivers. The LO-generator occupied a small silicon area of 0.15 mm2 and achieved an excellent phase noise performance of -141.02 dBc/Hz at a 1-MHz offset from a 709-MHz LO-frequency.
- Appears in Collections:
- EE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.