Synthesis of liquid crystalline polyesterimides by melt polymerization and its application to polymer-dispersed liquid crystal
Cited 1 times inCited 1 times in
- Synthesis of liquid crystalline polyesterimides by melt polymerization and its application to polymer-dispersed liquid crystal
- Park, Lee Soon; Lee, Dong-Chan; Kil, Yoo-Seong; Ahn, Tae-Oan
- poly(ester imide); liquid crystalline polymer; melt polymerization; polymer dispersed liquid crystal; PDLC
- Issue Date
- JOURNAL OF APPLIED POLYMER SCIENCE, v.69, no.8, pp.1517 - 1522
- N-(4-Carboxyphenyl)trimellitimide( DAI)was synthesized from trimellitic anhydride and p-aminobenzoic acid by a one-step reaction utilizing m-cresol as a solvent. DAI was reacted with hexanediol and nonanediol to give bishydroxyhexyltrimellitimide (BHHI) and bishydroxynonyltrimellitimide (BHNI), respectively. Thermotropic liquid crystalline polyesterimides with BHHI and BHNI as a mesogenic group and 6 and 9 methylene units as a spacer were synthesized by a direct melt-polymerization method similar to the one used in the preparation of commercial polyester. Polyesterimides were characterized by IR, H-1-NMR, DSC, and a polarized optical microscope. Their application as a matrix (binder) of polymer-dispersed liquid crystal (PDLC) was investigated with 4-heptyloxybenzoic acid as a low molecular weight liquid crystal (LMWLC). From the PDLC experiment, polyesterimides were found to be useful as a matrix for the high-temperature PDLC above 100 degrees C. (C) 1998 John Wiley & Sons, Inc. J Appl Polym Sci 69: 1517-1522, 1998
- Appears in Collections:
- MSE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.