Topological and magnetic phases with strong spin-orbit coupling on the hyperhoneycomb lattice
Cited 3 times inCited 2 times in
- Topological and magnetic phases with strong spin-orbit coupling on the hyperhoneycomb lattice
- Lee, EK; Bhattacharjee, S; Hwang, Kyusung; Kim, Heung-Sik; Jin, Hosub; Kim, Yong Baek
- Issue Date
- American Physical Society
- PHYSICAL REVIEW B, v.89, pp.205132
- We study the general phase diagram of correlated electrons for iridium-based (Ir) compounds on the hyperhoneycomb lattice, a crystal structure where the Ir4+ ions form a three-dimensional network with threefold coordination recently realized in the beta-Li2IrO3 compound. Using a combination of microscopic derivations, symmetry analysis, and density functional calculations, we determine the general model for the electrons occupying the j(eff) = 1/2 orbitals at the Ir4+ sites. In the noninteracting limit, we find that this model allows for both topological and trivial electronic band insulators along with metallic states. The effect of Hubbard-type electron-electron repulsion on the above electronic structure in stabilizing q = 0 magnetic order reveals a phase diagram with continuous phase transition between a topological band insulator and a Neel ordered magnetic insulator.
- Appears in Collections:
- PHY_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.