Broadband enhancement of light emission in silicon slot waveguides
Cited 38 times inCited 49 times in
- Broadband enhancement of light emission in silicon slot waveguides
- Jun, Young Chul; Briggs, Ryan M.; Atwater, Harry A.; Brongersma, Mark L.
- CONFINING LIGHT; MICROCAVITY; ERBIUM
- Issue Date
- OPTICAL SOC AMER
- OPTICS EXPRESS, v.17, no.9, pp.7479 - 7490
- We investigate the light emission properties of electrical dipole emitters inside 2-dimensional (2D) and 3-dimensional (3D) silicon slot waveguides and evaluate the spontaneous emission enhancement (F-p) and waveguide coupling ratio (beta). Under realistic conditions, we find that greater than 10-fold enhancement in Fp can be achieved, together with a beta as large as 0.95. In contrast to the case of high Q optical resonators, such performance enhancements are obtained over a broad wavelength region, which can cover the entire emission spectrum of popular optical dopants such as Er. The enhanced luminescence efficiency and the strong coupling into a limited set of well-defined waveguide modes enables a new class of power-efficient, CMOS-compatible, waveguide-based light sources. (c) 2009 Optical Society of Americ
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- MSE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.