High correlation between Alu Elements and the Conversion of 3' UTR of mRNAs Processed Pseudogenes
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- High correlation between Alu Elements and the Conversion of 3' UTR of mRNAs Processed Pseudogenes
- An, Hyeong Jun; Na, Dokyun; Lee, Doheon; Lee, Kwang Hyung; Bhak, Jong Hwa
- Alu; LINE; pseudogene; processed pseudogene; Alu and pseudogenes
- Issue Date
- GENOMICS & INFORMATICS, v.2, no.2, pp.86 - 91
- Even though it represents $6-13\%$ 수식 이미지 of human genomic DNA, Alu sequences are rarely found in coding regions. When in exon region, over $80\%$ 수식 이미지 of them are found in 3' untranslated region (UTR). Pseudogenes are an important component of human genome. Their functions are not clearly known and the mechanism of how they are generated is still debatable. Both the Alu and Pseudogenes are important research problems in molecular biology. mRNA is thought to be a prime source of pseudogene and active research is going on its molecular mechanism. We report, for the first time, that mRNAs containing Alu repeats at 3' UTR has a significantly high correlation with processed pseudogenes, suggesting a possibility that Alu containing mRNAs have a high tendency to become processed pseudogenes. It is known that about $10\%$ 수식 이미지 of all human genes have been transposed. Transposed genes at 3' UTR without Alu repeat have about two processed pseudogenes per gene on average while we found with statistical significance that a transposed gene with Alu had over three processed Pseudogenes on average. Therefore, we propose Alu repeats as a new and important factor in the generation of pseudogenes.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- BME_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.