Preparation of mesoporous oxides and their support effects on Pt nanoparticle catalysts in catalytic hydrogenation of furfural
Cited 13 times inCited 14 times in
- Preparation of mesoporous oxides and their support effects on Pt nanoparticle catalysts in catalytic hydrogenation of furfural
- An, Kwangjin; Musselwhite, Nathan; Kennedy, Griffin; Pushkarev, Vladimir V.; Baker, L. Robert; Somorjai, Gabor A.
- Furfural; Hydrogenation; Mesoporous; Nanoparticle; Pt; Selectivity
- Issue Date
- ACADEMIC PRESS INC ELSEVIER SCIENCE
- JOURNAL OF COLLOID AND INTERFACE SCIENCE, v.392, no., pp.122 - 128
- Mesoporous SiO2, Al2O3, TiO2, Nb2O5, and Ta2O5 were synthesized through a soft-templating approach by a self-assembled framework of Pluronic P123 and utilized for the preparation of 3-dimensional catalysts as supports. Colloidal Pt nanoparticles with an average diameter of 1.9nm were incorporated into the mesoporous oxides by sonication-induced capillary inclusion. The Pt nanoparticles supported on mesoporous oxides were evaluated in the hydrogenation reaction of furfural (70torr furfural and 700torr H2 with a balance of He) to study the effect of catalyst supports on selectivity. In the temperature ranges of 170-240°C, the major products of this reaction were furan, furfuryl alcohol, and 2-methyl furan through a main reaction pathway of either decarbonylation or carbonyl group hydrogenation. While Pt nanoparticles with the size ranges of 1.5-7.1 exhibited strong structure-dependent selectivity, various supports loaded with only 1.9nm Pt nanoparticles produced dominantly furan as a major product. Compared to the inert silica support, TiO2 and Nb2O5 facilitated an increase in the production of furfuryl alcohol via carbonyl group hydrogenation as a result of a charge transfer interaction between the Pt and the acidic surface of the oxides. The same trend was confirmed on 2-dimensional type catalysts, in which thin films of SiO2, Al2O3, TiO2, Nb2O5, and ZrO2 were prepared as supports. When furfural hydrogenation was conducted (1torr furfural, 100torr H2, and 659torr He) over Pt nanoparticle monolayers deposited on oxide substrates, only TiO2 was shown to increase the production of furfuryl alcohol, while other oxides produced furan. © 2012 Elsevier Inc.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- ECHE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
JCIS 2013,392,122, Preparation of m-oxides and their support effects on Pt NP catalysts in furfural.pdf
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.