Pt-mediated Reversible Reduction and Expansion of CeO2 in Pt Nanoparticle/mesoporous CeO2 Catalyst: In situ X-ray Spectroscopy and Diffraction Studies under Redox (H2 and O2) Atmospheres
Cited 10 times inCited 7 times in
- Pt-mediated Reversible Reduction and Expansion of CeO2 in Pt Nanoparticle/mesoporous CeO2 Catalyst: In situ X-ray Spectroscopy and Diffraction Studies under Redox (H2 and O2) Atmospheres
- Alayoglu, Selim; An, Kwangjin; Melaet, Gerome; Chen, Shiyou; Bernardi, Fabiano; Wang, Lin Wang; Lindeman, Avery E.; Musselwhite, Nathan; Guo, Jinghua; Liu, Zhi; Marcus, Matthew A.; Somorjai, Gabor A.
- Activation barriers; Fluorescence spectra; Hydrogen spill overs; Identical conditions; Near surface regions; Reversible expansion; Reversible reduction; Total electron yield
- Issue Date
- AMER CHEMICAL SOC
- JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY C, v.117, no.50, pp.26608 - 26616
- Here, we report the Pt nanoparticle mediated reduction (oxidation) and lattice expansion (contraction) of mesoporous CeO2 under H 2 (O2) atmospheres and in the temperature range of 50-350 C. We found that CeO2 in the Pt/CeO2 catalyst was partially reduced in H2 (and fully oxidized back in O2) as demonstrated by several in situ techniques: APXPS spectra (4d core levels) for the topmost surface, NEXAFS total electron yield spectra (at the M5,4 edges) in the near surface regions, and (N)EXAFS fluorescence spectra (at the L3 edge) in the bulk. Moreover, XRD and EXAFS showed the reversible expansion and contraction of the CeO2 unit cell in H2 and O2 environments, respectively. The expansion of the CeO2 cell was mainly associated with the formation of oxygen vacancies as a result of the Pt-mediated reduction of Ce4+ to Ce3+. We also found that pure mesoporous CeO2 can not be reduced in H2 under identical conditions but can be partially reduced at above 450 C as revealed by APXPS. The role of Pt in H2 was identified as a catalytic one that reduces the activation barrier for the reduction of CeO2 via hydrogen spillover. © 2013 American Chemical Society.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- ECHE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
JPCC 2013,117,26608, Pt-Mediated Reversible Reduction and Expansion of CeO2 in Pt NP m-CeO2 Catalyst.pdf
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.