High-performance hybrid oxide catalyst of manganese and cobalt for low-pressure methanol synthesis
Cited 2 times inCited 1 times in
- High-performance hybrid oxide catalyst of manganese and cobalt for low-pressure methanol synthesis
- Li, Cheng-Shiuan; Melaet, Gerome; Ralston, Walter T.; An, Kwangjin; Brooks, Christopher; Ye, Yifan; Liu, Yi-Sheng; Zhu, Junfa; Guo, Jinghua; Alayoglu, Selim; Somorjai, Gabor A.
- Issue Date
- NATURE PUBLISHING GROUP
- NATURE COMMUNICATIONS, v.6, no.6538, pp.1 - 5
- Carbon dioxide capture and use as a carbon feedstock presents both environmental and industrial benefits. Here we report the discovery of a hybrid oxide catalyst comprising manganese oxide nanoparticles supported on mesoporous spinel cobalt oxide, which catalyses the conversion of carbon dioxide to methanol at high yields. In addition, carboncarbon bond formation is observed through the production of ethylene. We document the existence of an active interface between cobalt oxide surface layers and manganese oxide nanoparticles by using X-ray absorption spectroscopy and electron energy-loss spectroscopy in the scanning transmission electron microscopy mode. Through control experiments, we find that the catalyst's chemical nature and architecture are the key factors in enabling the enhanced methanol synthesis and ethylene production. To demonstrate the industrial applicability, the catalyst is also run under high conversion regimes, showing its potential as a substitute for current methanol synthesis technologies.
- Appears in Collections:
- ECHE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.