Hysteretic melting transition of a soliton lattice in a commensurate charge modulation
Cited 14 times inCited 12 times in
- Hysteretic melting transition of a soliton lattice in a commensurate charge modulation
- Hsu, Pin-Jui; Mauerer, Tobias; Vogt, Matthias; Yang, JJ; Oh, Yoon Seok; Cheong, S-W; Bode, Matthias; Wu, Weida
- Charge modulation; Hysteretic transition; Melting transitions; Periodic-soliton; Soliton lattice; STM images; STM study; Temperature dependent
- Issue Date
- AMER PHYSICAL SOC
- PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS, v.111, no.26, pp.266401 -
- We report on the observation of the hysteretic transition of a commensurate charge modulation in IrTe2 from transport and scanning tunneling microscopy (STM) studies. Below the transition (T-C approximate to 275 K on cooling), a q = 1/5 charge modulation was observed, which is consistent with previous studies. Additional modulations [q(n) = (3n + 2)(-1)] appear below a second transition at T-S approximate to 180 K on cooling. The coexistence of various modulations persists up to T-C on warming. The atomic structures of charge modulations and the temperature-dependent STM studies suggest that 1/5 modulation is a periodic soliton lattice that partially melts below T-S on cooling. Our results provide compelling evidence that the ground state of IrTe2 is a commensurate 1/6 charge modulation, which originates from the periodic dimerization of Te atoms visualized by atomically resolved STM images.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- PHY_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.