Observation of liquid crystals confined in an elliptic cylinder
Cited 3 times inCited 0 times in
- Observation of liquid crystals confined in an elliptic cylinder
- Jeong, Joonwoo; Kim, Mahn Won
- CYLINDRICAL CAVITIES; DISCLINATIONS; BIREFRINGENCE; NEMATICS; SMECTICS
- Issue Date
- AMER INST PHYSICS
- APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS, v.101, no.6, pp.061914 -
- We present the observation of liquid crystals confined in elliptic cylinders. To fabricate the elliptic cylinder, poly(dimethlysiloxane) micro-channels having circular cross sections are stretched uniaxially along the direction of the diameter. Upon increasing the aspect ratio of the elliptic cross section, confined nematic liquid crystals maintain their escaped-radial configuration with homeotropic anchoring. In smectic-A liquid crystals, defect regions of focal conic domains appear as a function of the aspect ratio. We propose a model to understand the formation of these defects in terms of the confinement-induced misorientation, and resultant tilt grain boundaries. (C) 2012 American Institute of Physics.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- PHY_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.