The application of polyethyleneimine draw solution in a combined forward osmosis/nanofiltration system
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- The application of polyethyleneimine draw solution in a combined forward osmosis/nanofiltration system
- Jun, Byung-Moon; Nguyen, Thi Phuong Nga; Ahn, Soo-Hyun; Kim, In-Chul; Kwon, Young-Nam
- Issue Date
- JOURNAL OF APPLIED POLYMER SCIENCE, v.132, no.27, pp.42198
- The objective of this study is to investigate the effect of solution chemistry of branched polyethyleneimine (PEI) draw solute and to evaluate the PEI draw solute in a combined forward osmosis (FO)/nanofiltration (NF) system. Pure water was extracted from feed solution using the FO process, and the separation of pure water was achieved by the NF process. Lower molecular weight PEI showed higher water flux than higher molecular weight PEI, due to the lower internal concentration polarization caused by a higher diffusion rate and the easy permeation of pure water by lower viscosity of the draw solution (DS). The FO water flux was determined by the osmotic pressure induced by protonation/deprotonation of PEI, and the reverse draw solute flux was determined by the combination of PEI size due to the speciation and electrostatic interaction between the membrane and PEI. This study shows that the Js</inf>/Jw</inf> value of PEI at pH 7 was smaller than those of sodium chloride and magnesium sulfate. The recovery of PEI DS using NF has a higher value (99.4%) than of sodium chloride (20.6%) and magnesium sulfate (97.0%); this means that PEI would be a promising draw solute in an FO-NF combined system for the saline water desalination. © 2015 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 2015, 132, 42198. © 2015 Wiley Periodicals, Inc
- Appears in Collections:
- UEE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.