Gas releases and rod internal pressure of BN-added UO2 fuel
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- Gas releases and rod internal pressure of BN-added UO2 fuel
- Jeong, Gwan Yoon; Yang, Yong Sik; Sohn, Dong-Seong
- Issue Date
- TAYLOR & FRANCIS LTD
- JOURNAL OF NUCLEAR SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, v.52, no.10, pp.1208 - 1216
- Gadolinium (Gd), in the form of gadolinia (Gd2O3), has been used as integral burnable absorber to UO2 fuel by different companies. Recently, alternative burnable absorber materials are under investigation. In this paper, the results of the study on the use of boron mixed in UO2 as an integral burnable absorber are presented. Boron nitride was selected as the form of B to be added to UO2 fuel based on the stability of B during sintering. Fuel performance analysis code FRAPCON-UNI, which is based on FRAPCON code and has the modifications for boron and helium generation and gasses release models, was used for the calculation of fuel performance. Helium generation was calculated using a model and the result was verified against ORIGEN calculation results. Gas release calculation was based on Forsberg Massih model and different characteristics of the gasses were considered. Power histories of maximum burnup rods (B rod, no B rod, and Gd rod) were selected from reactor physics data. The results indicated significant increases in rod internal pressure by 500 ppm boron addition at the end of life with minimum influence of a grain boundary boron fraction due to high diffusivity of helium and nitrogen.
- Appears in Collections:
- MEN_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.