Multispin dynamics of the solid-state NMR free induction decay
Cited 39 times inCited 37 times in
- Multispin dynamics of the solid-state NMR free induction decay
- Cho, Hyungjoon; Ladd, TD; Baugh, J; Cory, DG; Ramanathan, C
- MULTIPLE-QUANTUM NMR; SYSTEMS; RELAXATION; SPACE; SPINS
- Issue Date
- AMERICAN PHYSICAL SOC
- PHYSICAL REVIEW B, v.72, no.5, pp.054427 -
- We present a new experimental investigation of the NMR free induction decay (FID) in a lattice of spin- 1/2 nuclei in a strong Zeeman field. Following a π/2 pulse, evolution under the secular dipolar Hamiltonian preserves the coherence number in the Zeeman eigenbasis, but changes the number of correlated spins in the state. The observed signal is seen to decay as single-spin, single-quantum coherences evolve into multiple-spin coherences under the action of the dipolar Hamiltonian. In order to probe the multiple-spin dynamics during the FID, we measured the growth of coherence orders in a basis other than the usual Zeeman eigenbasis. This measurement provides the first direct experimental observation of the growth of coherent multiple-spin correlations during the FID. Experiments were performed with a cubic lattice of spins (F19 in calcium fluoride) and a linear spin chain (F19 in fluorapatite). It is seen that the geometrical arrangement of the spins plays a significant role in the development of higher-order correlations. The results are discussed in light of existing theoretical models.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- BME_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.