EMERGING FIRMS IN AUTONOMOUS VEHICLE LANDSCAPE: AN EXPLORATORY ANALYSIS ON THEIR TECHNOLOGICAL POSITIONS USING GLOBAL PATENT DATA
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- EMERGING FIRMS IN AUTONOMOUS VEHICLE LANDSCAPE: AN EXPLORATORY ANALYSIS ON THEIR TECHNOLOGICAL POSITIONS USING GLOBAL PATENT DATA
- Lee, Jiwon
- Kim, Young-Choon
- Issue Date
- Graduate School of Technology and Innovation Management
- This paper examines technology-based firms emerging in the field of autonomous vehicles and the mainline subclasses of their patent data. Drawing upon Cooperative Patent Classification (CPC) code, it considers the patent subclasses technological components of an invention. At a patent level analysis, it examines the trends of patent application, occupied subclasses and their combinations. At the firm level, it characterizes technology of the sampled firms by mapping their technology position and comparing inter-firm overlap. The findings demonstrate that the technological components and combinations of the inventions of these emerging firms focus primarily on data processing, transmission of digital information, and data recognition and presentation. The analysis on interfirm overlap shows that software or parts suppliers occupy relatively proximate positions as do vehicle sharing service providers. Autonomous vehicle manufacturers occupy relatively distant positions, implying that the technological categories of their inventions differ significantly. This study identifies the main technological components in the autonomous vehicle domain and evaluates innovations of the entrants and their competitive positions.
- Department of Management Technology and Innovation Management
- Go to Link;
- Appears in Collections:
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.