Preparation of cellulose triacetate/cellulose acetate (CTA/CA)-based membranes for forward osmosis
Cited 5 times inCited 5 times in
- Preparation of cellulose triacetate/cellulose acetate (CTA/CA)-based membranes for forward osmosis
- Thi Phuong Nga Nguyen; Yun, Eun-Tae; Kim, In-Chul; Kwon, Young-Nam
- Annealing temperatures; Casting thickness; Cellulose acetates; Cellulose triacetate; Commercial membranes; Evaporation time; Forward osmosis; Immersion precipitation; Membrane performance; Preparation conditions; Salt resistance; Smooth surface; Substrate types; Water flux
- Issue Date
- ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV
- JOURNAL OF MEMBRANE SCIENCE, v.433, no., pp.49 - 59
- Cellulose triacetate/cellulose acetate (CTA/CA)-based membranes for forward osmosis (FO) were prepared by immersion precipitation. Casting composition and preparation conditions 1,4-dioxane/acetone ratio, CTA/CA ratio, substrate type, casting thickness, evaporation time and annealing temperature - were tested for their effects on formation and subsequent performance of membranes. Membranes were characterized by various methods, and their performances were tested against commercially available membranes. The FO membrane prepared under optimized composition and conditions had a smooth surface and showed higher water flux and salt resistance than the commercial membranes. Annealing improved the membrane performance by removing residual additives and solvents. The computerized image processing of optical microscopy images was shown to be useful for assessing the membrane substrates.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- UEE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.