Optimized contrast enhancement for real-time image and video dehazing
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- Optimized contrast enhancement for real-time image and video dehazing
- Kim, Jin-Hwan; Jang, Won-Dong; Sim, Jae-Young; Kim, Chang-Su
- Contrast Enhancement; Dehazing; Information loss; Light estimations; Real time videos; Real-time images; Temporal coherence; Transmission value
- Issue Date
- ACADEMIC PRESS INC ELSEVIER SCIENCE
- JOURNAL OF VISUAL COMMUNICATION AND IMAGE REPRESENTATION, v.24, no.3, pp.410 - 425
- A fast and optimized dehazing algorithm for hazy images and videos is proposed in this work. Based on the observation that a hazy image exhibits low contrast in general, we restore the hazy image by enhancing its contrast. However, the overcompensation of the degraded contrast may truncate pixel values and cause information loss. Therefore, we formulate a cost function that consists of the contrast term and the information loss term. By minimizing the cost function, the proposed algorithm enhances the contrast and preserves the information optimally. Moreover, we extend the static image dehazing algorithm to real-time video dehazing. We reduce flickering artifacts in a dehazed video sequence by making transmission values temporally coherent. Experimental results show that the proposed algorithm effectively removes haze and is sufficiently fast for real-time dehazing applications.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- EE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.