Evaluation of Tool Life in the Dry Machining of Inconel 718 Parts from Additive Manufacturing (AM)
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- Evaluation of Tool Life in the Dry Machining of Inconel 718 Parts from Additive Manufacturing (AM)
- Park, Eunju; Kim, Dong Min; Park, Hyung Wook; Park, Young-Bin; Kim, Namhun
- Issue Date
- KOREAN SOC PRECISION ENG
- INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF PRECISION ENGINEERING AND MANUFACTURING, v.21, no.1, pp.57 - 65
- The need for developing sustainable manufacturing processes are more and more increasing due to environmental regulations that are introduced worldwide. In the field of manufacturing metallic parts, the dry machining process is the effective way to reduce the costs of production and to avoid harm in environment and human health. Especially, Inconel 718 parts, which is very popular in aerospace, chemical, and nuclear industries, produced with additive manufacturing require a finishing process for quality assurance to rough and porous surfaces after printing process. Generally, machining of difficult-to cut materials such as Inconel 718 need the cutting fluids to improve the surface integrity and tool life. The present work investigates the effect of microstructure life of the Inconel 718 part produced by additive manufacturing on the tool compared with the wrought Inconel 718 part during the dry machining. The experimental findings show that the tool life of the Inconel 718 from AM is increased due to the melt pool microstructure formed by the laser irradiation though the hardness is higher than the wrought Inconel 718. Abrasive wear is strongly affected to tool life of the Inconel 718 from AM while adhesive and fracture wear is mostly found in the tool of wrought Inconel 718.
- Appears in Collections:
- MNE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.