Monolithic Circular Transistor-Antenna Design for High-Performance Plasmonic Millimeter-Wave Detectors
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- Monolithic Circular Transistor-Antenna Design for High-Performance Plasmonic Millimeter-Wave Detectors
- Patel, Ramesh; Ryu, Min Woo; Choe, Mun Seok; Choi, EunMi; Kim, Kyung Rok; Han, Ki Jin
- Issue Date
- IEEE-INST ELECTRICAL ELECTRONICS ENGINEERS INC
- IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON ANTENNAS AND PROPAGATION, v.68, no.4, pp.2511 - 2522
- This article reports a novel monolithic circular transistor-antenna by designing a ring-type asymmetric field-effect transistors (FET) itself as a receiving antenna element for high-performance plasmonic millimeter-wave detectors. Operation principle of the proposed device is discussed, focusing on how signal transmission through the ring-type structure is available without any feeding line between the antenna and the detector. To determine the antenna geometry aiming for a desired resonant frequency, we present an efficient design procedure based on periodic bandgap analysis combined with parametric electromagnetic simulations. From a fabricated ring-type FET-based monolithic antenna device for 120 GHz resonance frequency with the 3 dB full width at half maximum (FWHM) of 23 GHz, we demonstrated the highly enhanced optical responsivity similar to 1.1 kV/W (x5.5) and the reduced optical noise equivalent power (NEP) similar to 18 pW/Hz(0.5) (x1/7.4) at a chopping frequency of 2 kHz, compared to a reference bar-type detector. Moreover, the responsivity and the NEP in this article are in comparable order with the reported values of similar to 2.2 kV/W and 14 pW/Hz0.5, respectively, from the state-of-the-art CMOS-based antenna integrated direct detectors.
- Appears in Collections:
- EE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.