Multiferroicity in doped hexagonal LuFeO3
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- Multiferroicity in doped hexagonal LuFeO3
- Disseler, Steven M.; Luo, Xuan; Gao, Bin; Oh, Yoon Seok; Hu, Rongwei; Wang, Yazhong; Quintana, Dylan; Zhang, Alexander; Huang, Qingzhen; Lau, June; Paul, Rick; Lynn, Jeffrey W.; Cheong, Sang-Wook; Ratcliff, William, II
- Issue Date
- AMER PHYSICAL SOC
- PHYSICAL REVIEW B, v.92, no.5, pp.054435
- The hexagonal phase of LuFeO3 is a rare example of a multiferroic material possessing a weak ferromagnetic moment, which is predicted to be switchable by an electric field. We stabilize this structure in bulk form though Mn and Sc doping, and determine the complete magnetic and crystallographic structures using neutron-scattering and magnetometry techniques. The ferroelectric P6(3)cm space group is found to be stable over a wide concentration range, ordering antiferromagnetically with Neel temperatures that smoothly increase following the ratio of c to a (c/a) lattice parameters up to 172 K, the highest found in this class of materials to date. The magnetic structure for a range of temperatures and dopings is consistent with recent studies of high quality epitaxial films of pure hexagonal LuFeO3 including a ferromagnetic moment parallel to the ferroelectric axis. We propose a mechanism by which room-temperature multiferroicity could be achieved in this class of materials
- Appears in Collections:
- PHY_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.