Enhanced CO Oxidation Rates at the Interface of Mesoporous Oxides and Pt Nanoparticles
Cited 52 times inCited 39 times in
- Enhanced CO Oxidation Rates at the Interface of Mesoporous Oxides and Pt Nanoparticles
- An, Kwangjin; Alayoglu, Selim; Plamthottam, Sheba; Musselwhite, Nathan; Melaet, Gerome; Lindeman, Avery E.; Somorjai, Gabor A.
- METAL-SUPPORT INTERACTIONS; PLATINUM NANOPARTICLES; CATALYTIC-ACTIVITY; CARBON-MONOXIDE; TITANIUM-OXIDE; COBALT OXIDE; NOBLE-METALS; TEMPERATURE; OXYGEN; CO3O4
- Issue Date
- AMER CHEMICAL SOC
- JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, v.135, no.44, pp.16689 - 16696
- The interaction of the metal and support in oxide-supported transition-metal catalysts has been proven to have extremely favorable effects on catalytic performance. Herein, mesoporous Co3O4, NiO, MnO2, Fe2O3, and CeO2 were synthesized and utilized in CO oxidation reactions to compare the catalytic activities before and after loading of 2.5 nm Pt nanoparticles. Turnover frequencies (TOFs) of pure mesoporous oxides were 0.0002–0.015 s–1, while mesoporous silica was catalytically inactive in CO oxidation. When Pt nanoparticles were loaded onto the oxides, the TOFs of the Pt/metal oxide systems (0.1–500 s–1) were orders of magnitude greater than those of the pure oxides or the silica-supported Pt nanoparticles. The catalytic activities of various Pt/oxide systems were further influenced by varying the ratio of CO and O2 in the reactant gas feed, which provided insight into the mechanism of the observed support effect. In situ characterization using near-edge X-ray absorption fine structure (NEXAFS) and ambient-pressure X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (APXPS) under catalytically relevant reaction conditions demonstrated a strong correlation between the oxidation state of the oxide support and the catalytic activity at the oxide–metal interface. Through catalytic activity measurements and in situ X-ray spectroscopic probes, CoO, Mn3O4, and CeO2 have been identified as the active surface phases of the oxide at the interface with Pt nanoparticles.
- ; Go to Link
- Appears in Collections:
- ECHE_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
JACS 2013,135,16689, Enhanced CO Oxidation Rates at the Interface of Mesoporous Oxides and Pt NPs.pdf
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.