Surface roughness effect in instrumented indentation: A simple contact depth model and its verification
Cited 19 times inCited 17 times in
- Surface roughness effect in instrumented indentation: A simple contact depth model and its verification
- Kim, Ju-Young; Lee, Jung-Jun; Lee, Yun-Hee; Jang, Jae-il; Kwon, Dongil
- ELASTIC-MODULUS; HARDNESS; NANOINDENTATION; LOAD
- Issue Date
- CAMBRIDGE UNIV PRESS
- JOURNAL OF MATERIALS RESEARCH, v.21, no.12, pp.2975 - 2978
- Since in instrumented indentation the contact area is indirectly measured from the contact depth, the natural and unavoidable roughness of real surfaces can induce some errors in determining the contact area and thus in calculating hardness and Young's modulus. To alleviate these possible errors and evaluate mechanical properties more precisely, here a simple contact model that takes into account the surface roughness is proposed. A series of instrumented indentations were made on W and Ni samples whose surface roughness is intentionally controlled, and the results are discussed in terms of the proposed model.
- ; Go to Link
Appears in Collections:
- MSE_Journal Papers
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.