Combined topographical and chemical micropatterns for templating neuronal networks
Cited 31 times inCited 31 times in
- Combined topographical and chemical micropatterns for templating neuronal networks
- Venkataramani, Sowmya; Xu, Heng; Song, Yoon-Kyu; Song, Hyun-Kon; Palmore, G. Tayhas R.; Fallon, Justin; Nurmikko, Arto V.
- Bioelectronic interface; Cell culture; Micropatterning; Neural network; Photolithography
- Issue Date
- ELSEVIER SCI LTD
- BIOMATERIALS, v.27, no.33, pp.5734 - 5739
- In vitro neuronal networks with geometrically defined features are desirable for studying long-term electrical activity within the neuron assembly and for interfacing with external microelectronic circuits. In standard cultures, the random spatial distribution and overlap of neurites makes this aim difficult; hence, many recent efforts have been made on creating patterned cellular circuits. Here, we present a novel method for creating a planar neural network that is compatible with optical devices. This method combines both topographical and chemical micropatterns onto which neurons can be cultured. Compared to other reported patterning techniques, our approach and choice of template appears to show both geometrical control over the formation of specific neurite connections at low plating density and compatibility with microelectronic circuits that stimulate and record neural activity.
- ; Go to Link
Appears in Collections:
- ECHE_Journal Papers
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.