IRRADIATION TEST OF MOX FUEL IN THE HALDEN REACTOR AND THE ANALYSIS OF MEASURED DATA WITH THE FUEL PERFORMANCE CODE COSMOS
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- IRRADIATION TEST OF MOX FUEL IN THE HALDEN REACTOR AND THE ANALYSIS OF MEASURED DATA WITH THE FUEL PERFORMANCE CODE COSMOS
- WIESENACK, WOLFGANG; LEE, BYUNG-HO; Sohn, Dong-Seong
- Halden Reactor Project; In-pile Test; Instrumentation; MOX Fuel; Fuel Performance Code; Densification
- Issue Date
- KOREAN NUCLEAR SOC
- NUCLEAR ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY, v.37, no.4, pp.317 - 326
- The burning-out of excess plutonium from the reprocessing of spent nuclear fuel and from the dismantlement of nuclear weapons is recently emphasized due to the difficulties in securing the final repository for the spent fuel and the necessity to consume the ex-weapons plutonium. An irradiation test in the Halden reactor was launched by the OECD Halden Reactor Project (HRP) to investigate the in-pile behavior of plutonium-embedded fuel as a form of mixed oxide (MOX) and of inert matrix fuel (IMF). The first cycle of irradiation was successfully accomplished with good integrity of test fuel rods and without any undesirable fault of instrumentations. The test results revealed that the MOX fuel is more stable under irradiation environments than IMF. In addition, MOX fuel shows lower thermal resistance due to its better thermal conductivity than IMF. The on-line measured in-pile performance data of attrition milled MOX fuel are used in the analysis of the in-pile performance of the fuel with the fuel performance code, COSMOS. The COSMOS code has been developed for the analysis of MOX fuel as well as tex:\small\textstyle$UO_2$ fuel up to high burnup and showed good capability to analyze the in-reactor behavior of MOX fuel even with different instrumentation.
Appears in Collections:
- MNE_Journal Papers
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.