In situ synthesis of poly(ethylene terephthalate) (PET) in ethylene glycol containing terephthalic acid and functionalized multiwalled carbon nanotubes (MWNTs) as an approach to MWNT/PET nanocomposites
Cited 114 times inCited 114 times in
- In situ synthesis of poly(ethylene terephthalate) (PET) in ethylene glycol containing terephthalic acid and functionalized multiwalled carbon nanotubes (MWNTs) as an approach to MWNT/PET nanocomposites
- Lee, HJ; Oh, SJ; Choi, JY; Kim, JW; Han, J; Tan, LS; Baek, Jong-Beom
- Ethylene glycols; In situ synthesis; Multiwalled carbon nanotubes (MWNT); Terepthalic acid
- Issue Date
- AMER CHEMICAL SOC
- CHEMISTRY OF MATERIALS, v.17, no.20, pp.5057 - 5064
- Multiwalled carbon nanotubes (MWNTs) (diameter range, 10-20 nm) were functionalized with 4-methoxybenzoic acid and 4-ethoxybenzoic acid via a Friedel-Crafts reaction in polyphosphoric acid to afford methoxybenzoyl- and ethoxybenzoyl-functionalized MWNTs. As-received MWNT, methoxybenzoyl-functionalized (MeO-MWNT), and ethoxybenzoyl-functionalized (EtO-MWNT) nanotubes were dispersed in ethylene glycol (EG). Because of the structural similarity, the mixture of EtO-MWNT (0.4 wt %) and EG was a homogeneous dispersion, whereas MeO-MWNT and pristine MWNT were dispersed in EG rather heterogeneously at the same loading. In situ polycondensation of EG and terephthalic acid in the presence of pristine MWNT, MeO-MWNT, or EtO-MWNT was carried out to generate the corresponding MWNT/PET, MeO-MWNT/PET, and EtO-MWNT/PET nanocomposites. High molecular weight poly(ethylene terephthalates) (PETs), with intrinsic viscosity range 0.6-0.7 dL/g (o-chlorophenol at 30 +/- 0.1 degrees C), were obtained in all cases. In comparing the images from scanning electron microscopy (SEM) taken at the same magnification for these nanocomposites, it is clear that the MWNT/PET system has poor MWNT dispersion and the MeO-MWNT/PET system has a better dispersion. However, EtO-MWNT in PET matrix is most homogeneously dispersed, and the interfacial boundary between EtO-MWNT and PET matrix is practically nondiscernible.
- ; Go to Link
Appears in Collections:
- ECHE_Journal Papers
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.