Modulation of the ring size and nuclearity of metallamacrocycles via the steric effect of ligands: Preparation and characterization of 18-membered hexanuclear, 24-membered octanuclear, and 30-membered decanuclear manganese metal lad iazamacrocycles with alpha- and beta-branched N-acylsalicylhydrazides
Cited 63 times inCited 63 times in
- Modulation of the ring size and nuclearity of metallamacrocycles via the steric effect of ligands: Preparation and characterization of 18-membered hexanuclear, 24-membered octanuclear, and 30-membered decanuclear manganese metal lad iazamacrocycles with alpha- and beta-branched N-acylsalicylhydrazides
- John, RP; Lee, K; Kim, BJ; Suh, BJ; Rhee, H; Lah, Myoung Soo
- SINGLE-MOLECULE MAGNETS; COORDINATION POLYMERS; CHAIN MAGNET; COMPLEXES; NETWORKS; CLUSTER; TRINUCLEAR; CAGE; MN; TETRANUCLEAR
- Issue Date
- AMER CHEMICAL SOC
- INORGANIC CHEMISTRY, v.44, no.20, pp.7109 - 7121
- Hexanuclear, octanuclear, and decanuclear manganese metalladiazamacrocycles have been prepared by reacting a series of pentadentate ligands, N-acylsalicylhydrazides (N-(3-methylbutanoyl)salicylhydrazide (H 33-mbshz), N-(phenylacetyl)salicylhydrazide (H3pashz), N-(3,3-dimethylbutanoyl)salicylhydrazide (H33-dmbshz), N-(2-methyl-propanoyl)salicylhydrazide (H32-mpshz), N-((R,S)-2-methylbutanoyl)salicylhydrazide (H3RS-2-mbshz), N-((S)-2-methylbutanoyl)salicylhydrazide (H3S-2-mbshz), and N-(2,2-dimethylpropanoyl)salicylhydrazide (H32-dmpshz)), with manganese(II) acetate tetrahydrate. The self-assembled, supramolecular complexes assume a nearly planar cyclic structure with an -(Mn-N-N)n backbone and measure ∼2.1, ∼2.3, and ∼2.6 nm in outer diameters for n = 6, 8, and 10, respectively. The chiralities of the manganese centers on the metalladiazamacrocycle occur in alternating ⋯ΛΔΛ Δ⋯ configurations. While β-branched N-acylsalicylhydrazides (H33-mbshz, H3pashz, H33-dmbshz) with a sterically flexible Cα methylene group yield 18-membered hexanuclear manganese metalladiazamacrocycles of S6 point group symmetry, α-branched N-acylsalicylhydrazides lead to 24-membered octanuclear manganese metalladiazamacrocycles or 30-membered decanuclear manganese metalladiazamacrocycles depending on the size of the N-acyl substituents. The α-branched H32-mpshz ligand with the sterically least demanding isopropyl tail at the N-acyl position yields a 24-membered octanuclear manganese metalladiazamacrocycle of S8 point group symmetry, but other α-branched N-acylsalicylhydrazides such as H3RS-2-mbshz, H3S-2-mbshz, and H32-dmpshz lead to 30-membered decanuclear manganese metalladiazamacrocycles of S10 point group symmetry. The magnetic properties of the metalladiazamacrocycles are characterized by a weak antiferromagnetic exchange interaction, with J eff = -8.5 to -3.8 K between the Mn3+ ion spins with S = 2 in the cyclic system.
- ; Go to Link
Appears in Collections:
- SNS_Journal Papers
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.