In situ grafting of carboxylic acid-terminated hyperbranched poly (ether-ketone) to the surface of carbon nanotubes
Cited 37 times inCited 36 times in
- In situ grafting of carboxylic acid-terminated hyperbranched poly (ether-ketone) to the surface of carbon nanotubes
- Choi, Ja-Young; Han, Sang-Wook; Huh, Wan-Soo; Tan, Loon-Seng; Baek, Jong-Beom
- Carbon nanotubes; Hyperbranched poly(ether-ketone); Polyphosphoric acid
- Issue Date
- ELSEVIER SCI LTD
- POLYMER, v.48, no.14, pp.4034 - 4040
- Carboxylic acid-terminated hyperbranched poly(ether-ketone)s (HPEKs) were successfully grafted onto the surfaces of single-walled carbon nanotube (SWNT) and multi-walled carbon nanotube (MWNT) to afford HPEK-g-SWNT and HPEK-g-MWNT nanocomposites. They were prepared via in situ polymerization of 5-phenoxyisophthalic acid as an AB2 monomer for the HPEK in the presence of SWNT or MWNT in polyphosphoric acid (PPA)/phosphorous pentoxide (P2O5) medium. The resultant nanocomposites were homogeneously dispersed in various common polar aprotic solvents as well as in concentrated ammonium hydroxide. The experimental results from Soxhlet extraction, solubility enhancement, elemental analysis (EA), thermogravimetric analysis (TGA), and scanning electron microscopy (SEM) provided clear evidences for grafting of hyperbranched polymers onto the surfaces of corresponding CNT's. Achieving enhanced solubility of CNT's in common organic solvents via the functionalization of CNT's is a key step for CNT's to be used in various application-specific purposes. The results could potentially envision to the area of CNT researches via the efficient introduction of three-dimensional globular dendritic macromolecules as increasing solubility, available multi-functionality, reactivity, processability, and also biocompatibility.
- ; Go to Link
Appears in Collections:
- ECHE_Journal Papers
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.