Sphingosine 1-phosphate induces vesicular endothelial growth factor expression in endothelial cells
Cited 15 times inCited 17 times in
- Sphingosine 1-phosphate induces vesicular endothelial growth factor expression in endothelial cells
- Heo, Kyun; Park, Kyung-A; Kim, Yun-Hee; Kim, Sun-Hee; Oh, Yong-Seok; Kim, In-Hoo; Ryu, Sung Ho; Suh, Pann-Ghill
- Angiogenesis; Endothelial cell; Promoter; Sphingosine 1-phosphate; Vascular endothelial cell growth factor
- Issue Date
- KOREAN SOCIETY BIOCHEMISTRY & MOLECULAR BIOLOGY
- BMB REPORTS, v.42, no.10, pp.685 - 690
- Angiogenesis is essential for tumor growth and vascular endothelial cell growth factor (VEGF) plays a key role in this process. Conversely, sphingosine 1-phosphate (S1P) is a biologically active sphingolipid known to play a key role in cancer progression by regulating endothelial cell proliferation and migration. In this study, the authors found that S1P increases the level of VEGF mRNA in human umbilical vein endothelial cells (HUVECs) and immortalized HUVECs (iHUVECs). Additionally, S1P was found to increase VEGF promoter activity in MS-1 mouse pancreatic islet endothelial cells. Furthermore, a pharmacological inhibitory study revealed that Gαi/o-mediated phospholipase C, Akt, Erk, and p38 MAPK signaling are involved in this S1P-induced expression of VEGF. A component of AP1 transcription factor is important for S1P-induced VEGF expression. Taken together, these findings suggest that S1P enhances endothelial cell proliferation and migration by upregulating the expression of VEGF mRNA.
- ; Go to Link
Appears in Collections:
- SLS_Journal Papers
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.