Requirement for the L-type Ca2+ channel alpha(1D) subunit in postnatal pancreatic beta cell generation
Cited 79 times inCited 81 times in
- Requirement for the L-type Ca2+ channel alpha(1D) subunit in postnatal pancreatic beta cell generation
- Namkung, Y; Skrypnyk, N; Jeong, MJ; Lee, T; Lee, MS; Kim, HL; Chin, H; Suh, Pann-Ghill; Kim, SS; Shin, HS
- INCREASED INSULIN SENSITIVITY; DEPENDENT CALCIUM-CHANNEL; ACTIVIN RECEPTOR; FUNCTIONAL EXPRESSION; DIABETES-MELLITUS; TRANSGENIC MICE; B-CELLS; SECRETION; GROWTH; ISLETS
- Issue Date
- AMER SOC CLINICAL INVESTIGATION INC
- JOURNAL OF CLINICAL INVESTIGATION, v.108, no.7, pp.1015 - 1022
- Pancreatic 5 cells are the source of insulin, which directly lowers blood glucose levels in the body. Our analyses Of alpha (1D) gene-knockout (alpha (1D-/-)) mice show that the L-type calcium channel, alpha (1D), is required for proper beta cell generation in the postnatal pancreas. Knockout mice were characteristically slightly smaller than their littermates and exhibited hypoinsulinemia and glucose intolerance. However, isolated a(1D)(-/-) islets persisted in glucose sensing and insulin secretion, with compensatory overexpression of another L-type channel gene, alpha (1C). Histologically, newborn a(1D)(-/-) mice had an equivalent number of islets to wild-type mice. in contrast, adult alpha (-/-)(1D) mice showed a decrease in the number and size of islets, compared with littermate wild-type mice due to a decrease in beta cell generation. TUNEL staining showed that there was no increase in cell. death in alpha (-/-)(1D) islets, and a 5-bromo-2 ' deoxyuridine-labeling (BrdU-labeling) assay illustrated significant reduction in the proliferation rate of beta cells in alpha (-/-)(1D) islets.
- ; Go to Link
Appears in Collections:
- SLS_Journal Papers
- Files in This Item:
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.