Mechanical properties of an ultrafine-grained Al-7.5 pct Mg alloy
Cited 97 times inCited 100 times in
- Mechanical properties of an ultrafine-grained Al-7.5 pct Mg alloy
- Han, BQ; Lee, Zonghoon; Nutt, SR; Lavernia, EJ; Mohamed, FA
- CHANNEL-ANGULAR-EXTRUSION; DEFORMATION-BEHAVIOR; NANOCRYSTALLINE MATERIALS; STRAIN-RATE; IRON ALLOY; AL; COPPER; METALS; MICROSTRUCTURE; SIZE
- Issue Date
- METALLURGICAL AND MATERIALS TRANSACTIONS A-PHYSICAL METALLURGY AND MATERIALS SCIENCE, v.34, no.3, pp.603 - 613
- In the present study, the relationships between the structure and properties of a cryomilled Al-7.5 pct Mg alloy were investigated. The microstructure of the cryomilled Al-7.5 pct Mg alloy consisted of equiaxed grains with an approximate size of 300 nm. Thermal treatment had only a minor effect on microstructure, as evidenced by X-ray diffraction (XRD) and transmission electron microscopy (TEM) results. The tensile behavior was characterized by high strength, high ductility, and low-strain-hardening. The tensile deformation was relatively uniform, with limited necking deformation, and fracture surfaces were characterized by microdimples. The variation of strain rates from 4 (.) 10(-4) to 4 (.) 10(-2) s(-1) had an insignificant effect on tensile behavior. Comparison of compressive and tensile behavior revealed similar moduli and yield strengths, although the postyield behavior was markedly asymmetric. The present results indicate that grain-size effects, solid-solution strengthening, Orowan strengthening, and dislocation strengthening contribute significantly to the properties of a cryomilled Al-7.5 pct Mg alloy.
- ; Go to Link
Appears in Collections:
- MSE_Journal Papers
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.