The structural organization of the human Na+/myo-inositol cotransporter (SLC5A3) gene and characterization of the promoter
Cited 28 times inCited 27 times in
- The structural organization of the human Na+/myo-inositol cotransporter (SLC5A3) gene and characterization of the promoter
- Mallee, JJ; Atta, MG; Lorica, V; Rim, JS; Kwon, H. Moo; Lucente, AD; Wang, Y; Berry, GT
- NA+/GLUCOSE COTRANSPORTER; DOWN-SYNDROME; BRAIN-CELLS; MYOINOSITOL; CLONING; PROTEIN; CDNA; TRANSCRIPTION; FIBROBLASTS; TRANSPORTER
- Issue Date
- ACADEMIC PRESS INC ELSEVIER SCIENCE
- GENOMICS, v.46, no.3, pp.459 - 465
- The genomic structure, transcription start site, polyadenylation signals, and promoter of the human Na+/myo-inositol cotransporter (SLC5A3) gene have been elucidated through cloning, sequencing, mRNA analyses, and reporter gene assays. The gene consists of one promoter and two exons spanning approximately 26 kb. Exon 1 contains 175 bp of 5' untranslated sequence and is 15 kb upstream of exon 2, The 9.5-kb exon 2 contains the entire 2157-bp open reading frame and a large 3' untranslated sequence with seven putative polyadenylation signals. Multiple messages with different-sized 3' untranslated regions can be detected on Northern blots, Hypertonic stress caused mRNA levels, and primarily that of the full-length 9.5-kb transcript, to increase in cultured melanoma cells; ribonuclease protection analysis demonstrated that the transcription start site was the same in stressed as in control cells. The SLC5A3 gene functions in cellular osmoregulation and is expressed in many human tissues including the brain, kidney, and placenta. It is localized to chromosome 21q22.1. An overexpression of the SLC5A3 gene deserves consideration as a factor in the pathophysiology of Down syndrome.
- ; Go to Link
Appears in Collections:
- SLS_Journal Papers
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.