Mixed ion/electron-conductive protective soft nanomatter-based conformal surface modification of lithium-ion battery cathode materials
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- Mixed ion/electron-conductive protective soft nanomatter-based conformal surface modification of lithium-ion battery cathode materials
- Park, Jang-Hoon; Kim, Ju-Myung; Lee, Chang Kee; Lee, Sang-Young
- Cathode materials; Conformal surface modification; Interfacial phenomena; Liquid electrolytes; Lithium-ion batteries; Mixed ion/electron-conductive soft nanomatter
- Issue Date
- ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV
- JOURNAL OF POWER SOURCES, v.263, no., pp.209 - 216
- Understanding and control of interfacial phenomena between electrode material and liquid electrolytes are of major scientific importance for boosting development of high-performance lithium ion batteries with reliable electrochemical/safety attributes. Here, as an innovative surface engineering approach to address the interfacial issues, a new concept of mixed ion/electron-conductive soft nanomatter-based conformal surface modification of the cathode material is presented. The soft nanomatter is comprised of an electron conductive carbonaceous (C) substance embedded in an ion conductive polyimide (PI) nanothin compliant film. In addition to its structural uniqueness, the newly proposed surface modification benefits from a simple fabrication process. The PI/carbon soft nanomatter is directly synthesized on LiCoO2 surface via one-pot thermal treatment of polyamic acid (=PI precursor) and sucrose (=carbon source) mixture, where the LiCoO2 powders are chosen as a model system to explore the feasibility of this surface engineering strategy. The resulting PI/carbon coating layer facilitates electronic conduction and also suppresses unwanted side reactions arising from the cathode material-liquid electrolyte interface. These synergistic coating effects of the multifunctional PI/carbon soft nanomatter significantly improve high-voltage cell performance and also mitigate interfacial exothermic reaction between cathode material and liquid electrolyte.
- ; Go to Link
Appears in Collections:
- ECHE_Journal Papers
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.