EXPRESSION OF MADIN-DARBY CANINE KIDNEY-CELL NA+-DEPENDENT AND CL--DEPENDENT TAURINE TRANSPORTER IN XENOPUS-LAEVIS OOCYTES
Cited 44 times inCited 22 times in
- EXPRESSION OF MADIN-DARBY CANINE KIDNEY-CELL NA+-DEPENDENT AND CL--DEPENDENT TAURINE TRANSPORTER IN XENOPUS-LAEVIS OOCYTES
- UCHIDA, S; Kwon, H. Moo; PRESTON, AS; HANDLER, JS
- ASCITES TUMOR-CELLS; MEMBRANE-VESICLES; CDNA CLONING; RENAL-CELLS; RECEPTOR; BRAIN; COTRANSPORTER; CHANNELS; OSMOREGULATION; MYOINOSITOL
- Issue Date
- AMER SOC BIOCHEMISTRY MOLECULAR BIOLOGY INC
- JOURNAL OF BIOLOGICAL CHEMISTRY, v.266, no.15, pp.9605 - 9609
- Expression of a Madin-Darby canine kidney (MDCK) cell taurine transporter was examined in Xenopus oocytes that had been injected with poly(A)+ RNA extracted from MDCK cells. Compared with water-injected oocytes, injection of total poly(A)+ RNA resulted in an increase in Na+-dependent taurine uptake which was directly related to the amount of RNA injected. The magnitude of expression in poly(A)+ RNA-injected oocytes was 5-10-fold higher than that of water-injected oocytes. Since the Vmax of taurine uptake in MDCK cells is increased by culture in hypertonic medium, we compared oocyte taurine uptake after injection with poly(A)+ RNA from MDCK cells cultured in hypertonic medium with uptake in oocytes injected with poly(A)+ RNA from MDCK cells cultured in isotonic medium. Poly(A)+ RNA from hypertonic cells elicited twice the taurine uptake elicited by poly(A)+ RNA from isotonic cells. The transporter expressed in oocytes was like that in MDCK cells: it was completely dependent on external sodium and was also anion dependent (Cl- ≥ Br- > SCN- ≫ gluconate-). Other β-amino acids, β-alanine and hypotaurine, inhibited taurine uptake, but L-alanine and 2-(methylamino) isobutyric acid did not. The apparent Km of the transporter was 7.0 μM. After size fractionation on a sucrose density gradient, poly(A)+ RNA encoding for the MDCK taurine transporter was found in the fraction whose average size was 4.4 kilobases.
- ; Go to Link
Appears in Collections:
- SLS_Journal Papers
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.