A Software-Only Solution to Use Scratch Pads for Stack Data
Cited 4 times inCited 5 times in
- A Software-Only Solution to Use Scratch Pads for Stack Data
- Shrivastava, Aviral; Kannan, Arun; Lee, Jongeun
- Average energy; Cache; Compile time; Compilers; Performance improvements; Processor power; Scratch pad memory (SPM); Scratch-pad memory managements; Stack data
- Issue Date
- IEEE-INST ELECTRICAL ELECTRONICS ENGINEERS INC
- IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON COMPUTER-AIDED DESIGN OF INTEGRATED CIRCUITS AND SYSTEMS, v.28, no.11, pp.1719 - 1727
- A dynamic scratch pad memory (SPM) management scheme for program stack data with the objective of processor power reduction is presented. Basic technique does not need the SPM size at compile time, does not mandate any hardware changes, does not need profile information, and seamlessly integrates support for recursive functions. Stack frames are managed using a software SPM manager, integrated into the application binary, and shows average energy savings of 32% along with a performance improvement of 13%, on benchmarks from MiBench. SPM management can be further optimized and made pointer safe, by knowing the SPM size.
- ; Go to Link
Appears in Collections:
- ECE_Journal Papers
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.