Monosaccharide-Responsive Release of Insulin from Polymersomes of Polyboroxole Block Copolymers at Neutral pH
Cited 61 times inCited 46 times in
- Monosaccharide-Responsive Release of Insulin from Polymersomes of Polyboroxole Block Copolymers at Neutral pH
- Kim, Hyunkyu; Kang, Young Ji; Kang, Sebyung; Kim, Kyoung Taek
- Addition-fragmentation; Chain transfer; Competitive binding; Controlled radical polymerization; Cylindrical micelles; Degree of polymerization; Delivery vehicle; Hydrophilic blocks; Neutral pH; pH condition; Phosphate buffers; Polymer vesicle; Polymersomes; Self-assembled; Styrenic monomers
- Issue Date
- AMER CHEMICAL SOC
- JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, v.134, no.9, pp.4030 - 4033
- We synthesized a boroxole-containing styrenic monomer that can be polymerized by the reversible addition fragmentation and chain transfer (RAFT) method. Poly(styreneboroxole) (PBOx) and its block copolymers with a poly(ethylene glycol) (PEG) as a hydrophilic block displayed binding to monosaccharides in phosphate buffer at neutral pH, as quantified by Wang's competitive binding experiments. By virtue of a controlled radical polymerization, we were able to adjust the degree of polymerization of the PBOx block to yield sugar-responsive block copolymers that self-assembled into a variety of nanostructures including spherical and cylindrical micelles and polymer vesicles (polymersomes). Polymersomes of these block copolymers exhibited monosaccharide-responsive disassembly in a neutral-pH medium. We demonstrated the possibility of using these polymersomes as sugar-responsive delivery vehicles for insulin in neutral phosphate buffer (pH 7.4). Encapsulated insulin could be released from the polymersomes only in the presence of sugars under physiologically relevant pH conditions.
- ; Go to Link
Appears in Collections:
- SNS_Journal Papers
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.