On-chip concentration of bacteria using a 3D dielectrophoretic chip and subsequent laser-based DNA extraction in the same chip
Cited 0 times inCited 2 times in
- On-chip concentration of bacteria using a 3D dielectrophoretic chip and subsequent laser-based DNA extraction in the same chip
- Cho, Yoon-Kyoung; Kim, Tae-hyeong; Lee, Jeong-Gun
- 3-D electrodes; Au electroplating; Bacteria concentrations; Concentration of; Dielectrophoretic; Dielectrophoretic chip; DNA extraction; Laser irradiations; Magnetic beads; Manual operations; Metal posts; Nonuniform electric field; On chips; Real-time polymerase chain reaction; Silicon chip; Staphylococcus epidermidis; Streptococcus mutans; Three models
- Issue Date
- IOP PUBLISHING LTD
- JOURNAL OF MICROMECHANICS AND MICROENGINEERING, v.20, no.6, pp.1 - 10
- We report the on-chip concentration of bacteria using a dielectrophoretic (DEP) chip with 3D electrodes and subsequent laser-based DNA extraction in the same chip. The DEP chip has a set of interdigitated Au post electrodes with 50 mu m height to generate a network of non-uniform electric fields for the efficient trapping by DEP. The metal post array was fabricated by photolithography and subsequent Ni and Au electroplating. Three model bacteria samples (Escherichia coli, Staphylococcus epidermidis, Streptococcus mutans) were tested and over 80-fold concentrations were achieved within 2 min. Subsequently, on-chip DNA extraction from the concentrated bacteria in the 3D DEP chip was performed by laser irradiation using the laser-irradiated magnetic bead system (LIMBS) in the same chip. The extracted DNA was analyzed with silicon chip-based real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR). The total process of on-chip bacteria concentration and the subsequent DNA extraction can be completed within 10 min including the manual operation time.
- ; Go to Link
Appears in Collections:
- SLS_Journal Papers
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.