Tin-Oxide-Nanowire-Based Electronic Nose Using Heterogeneous Catalysis as a Functionalization Strategy
Cited 0 times inCited 28 times in
- Tin-Oxide-Nanowire-Based Electronic Nose Using Heterogeneous Catalysis as a Functionalization Strategy
- Baik, Jeong Min; Zielke, Mark; Kim, Myung Hwa; Turner, Kimberly L.; Wodtke, Alec M.; Moskovits, Martin
- Catalytic process; Electronic NOSE; Electronic nose (e-nose); Functionalizations; Heterogeneous catalysis; Linear discriminant analysis; Low costs; Metal nanoparticles; Metallic nanoparticles; Microfabrication process; Nanowire arrays; Nanowire sensor; Operating temperature; Reducing gas; Semiconducting nanowires; Sensing property; Topdown
- Issue Date
- AMER CHEMICAL SOC
- ACS NANO, v.4, no.6, pp.3117 - 3122
- An electronic nose (e-nose) strategy is described based on SnO(2) nanowire arrays whose sensing properties are modified by changing their operating temperatures and by decorating some of the nanowires with metallic nanoparticles. Since the catalytic processes occurring on the metal nanoparticles depend on the identity of the metal, decorating the semiconducting nanowires with various metal nanoparticles is akin to functionalizing them with chemically specific moieties. Other than the synthesis of the nanowires, all other steps in the fabrication of the e-nose sensors were carried out using top-down microfabrication processes, paving the way to a useful strategy for making low cost, nanowire-based e-nose chips. The sensors were tested for their ability to distinguish three reducing gases (H(2), CO, and ethylene), which they were able to do unequivocally when the data was classified using linear discriminant analysis. The discriminating ability of this e-nose design was not impacted by the lengths or diameters of the nanowires used.
- ; Go to Link
Appears in Collections:
- MSE_Journal Papers
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.