Determining effective radius and frame compliance in spherical nanoindentation
Cited 1 times inCited 2 times in
- Determining effective radius and frame compliance in spherical nanoindentation
- Kang, Seung-Kyun; Kim, Young-Cheon; Lee, Yun-Hee; Kim, Ju-Young; Kwon, Dongil
- AFM; Contact regions; Effective radius; Elastic contact; Elastoplastic contact; Frame compliance; Indentation depth; Indenters; Nanoindenters; Spherical indenters; Tip bluntness
- Issue Date
- ELSEVIER SCIENCE SA
- MATERIALS SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING A-STRUCTURAL MATERIALS PROPERTIES MICROSTRUCTURE AND PROCESSING, v.538, no., pp.58 - 62
- We estimate effective radii of a spherical nanoindenter at various indentation depths using Hertz elastic contact theory for the fully elastic contact region and AFM profiling residual indentation marks for the elastoplastic contact region. Using frame compliance measured as a function of indentation depth and the concept of infinitesimal deformation of a spherical nanoindenter, we introduce a profile of indentation-depth-dependent frame compliance that successfully explains the variation in frame compliance over the entire contact region. After using this indentation-depth-dependent frame compliance, we evaluated more consistent indenter radii from Hertz elastic contact theory at shallow indentation depths (<90 nm).
- ; Go to Link
Appears in Collections:
- MSE_Journal Papers
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.