Parallel multi-dimensional range query processing with R-trees on GPU
Cited 0 times inCited 0 times in
- Parallel multi-dimensional range query processing with R-trees on GPU
- Kim, Jinwoong; Kim, Sul-Gi; Nam, Beomseok
- CUDA; GPGPU; GPU; Parallel indexing; Parallel multi-dimensional indexing; Parallel R-tree
- Issue Date
- ACADEMIC PRESS INC ELSEVIER SCIENCE
- JOURNAL OF PARALLEL AND DISTRIBUTED COMPUTING, v.73, no.8, pp.1195 - 1207
- The general purpose computing on graphics processing unit (GP-GPU) has emerged as a new cost effective parallel computing paradigm in high performance computing research that enables large amount of data to be processed in parallel. Large scale scientific data intensive applications have been playing an important role in modern high performance computing research. A common access pattern into such scientific data analysis applications is multi-dimensional range query, but not much research has been conducted on multi-dimensional range query on the GPU. Inherently multi-dimensional indexing trees such as R-Trees are not well suited for GPU environment because of its irregular tree traversal. Traversing irregular tree search path makes it hard to maximize the utilization of massively parallel architectures. In this paper, we propose a novel MPTS (Massively Parallel Three-phase Scanning) R-tree traversal algorithm for multi-dimensional range query, that converts recursive access to tree nodes into sequential access. Our extensive experimental study shows that MPTS R-tree traversal algorithm on NVIDIA Tesla M2090 GPU consistently outperforms traditional recursive R-trees search algorithm on Intel Xeon E5506 processors.
- ; Go to Link
Appears in Collections:
- ECE_Journal Papers
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.