Concrete contribution to initial shear strength of RC hollow bridge columns
Cited 3 times inCited 2 times in
- Concrete contribution to initial shear strength of RC hollow bridge columns
- Kim, Ick-Hyun; Sun, Chang-Ho; Shin, Myoungsu
- Area ratios; Concrete contribution; Cyclic loadings; Design parameters; Displacement ductility; Empirical equations; Hollow bridge columns; Hollow columns; Hollow section; Lateral loading; Lateral loads; Linear patterns; Loading history; Monotonic loading; Primary objective; Shear models
- Issue Date
- STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING AND MECHANICS, v.41, no.1, pp.43 - 65
- The primary objective of this study was to identify concrete contribution to the initial shear strength of reinforced concrete (RC) hollow columns under lateral loading. Seven large-scale RC rectangular hollow column specimens were tested under monotonic or cyclic lateral loads. The most important design parameter was column length-to-depth aspect ratio ranging between 1.5 and 3.0, and the other test variables included web area ratio, hollow section ratio, and loading history. The tests showed that the initial shear strength reduced in a linear pattern as the column aspect ratio increased, and one specimen tested under cyclic loading achieved approximately 83% of the shear strength of the companion specimen under monotonic loading. Also, several pioneering shear models proposed around the world, all of which were mainly based on tests for columns with solid sections, were reviewed and compared with the test results of this study, for their possible applications to columns with hollow sections. After all, an empirical equation was proposed for concrete contribution to the initial shear strength of RC hollow columns based on fundamental mechanics and the test results.
- ; Go to Link
Appears in Collections:
- UEE_Journal Papers
can give you direct access to the published full text of this article. (UNISTARs only)
Show full item record
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.